- Become an Authorized Driver
- K College Buses
- Traffic Violations and Accidents
- College Driver Policy
Reserve your vehicles as far in advance as possible, you can make the reservation by filling out the Vehicle Reservation Form. We have 5 passenger cars, 7 passenger minivans,12 passenger vans, and two buses in our fleet. We will also rent from a local agency when fleet vehicles are not available. Types of vehicles that are available through the rental agency are:
- Sedans – $38 day
- Minivans – $61 Day
- 12 Passenger vans – $120 day
There will also be a young driver fee of $25 per day when renting a car or minivan if you are 18 to 20 years of age. When using a rental vehicle your department will be charged the actual amount from the rental company so return properly to avoid extra charges. If the vehicle is not needed, please cancel your reservation by the morning of the day of use to avoid fees. If it is not cancelled, your account will be charged the rental fee plus an extra $25.
You must be an authorized driver to be able to use fleet vehicles, to start the process see become an authorized driver. Please also see College driver/transportation policy.
Keys may be picked up at the Facilities Management Office between 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The authorized driver must pick up the keys, if more than one vehicle is being used each individual driver must pickup keys. If you are using a vehicle on the weekend, be sure to pick up the keys by 3:30 p.m. on Friday. If the keys are lost for a vehicle it will be a $25 replacement fee for a 12 passenger van and $250 for a key for the sedans and minivans.
In order to reserve a vehicle all drivers must meet the following guidelines:
- Be at least 18 years of age to drive a College car or mini van, and at least 21 years old to drive a 12-passenger van.
- Possess a valid driver’s license from one of the 50 states.
- For cars and minivan certification you will need to undergo a Department of Motor Vehicles screen by submitting name, date-of-birth, and driver’s license number (and state, if not Michigan), to the Human Resources office where you must sign a release. Currently certified faculty and staff drivers will be screened at least annually.
- For 12 passenger van certification you must submit driving record, take an online test at Facilities Management by contacting them at 269.337.7308, and then schedule a driving test with Campus Safety via email at CampusSafety@kzoo.edu. All requirements must be met before we can issue the keys.
- Students can have no moving violations during the last three years and Faculty/Staff can have no more than two moving violations during the last three years, no convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances during the last five (5) years, and no convictions for serious infractions such as reckless driving, leaving the scene of the an accident, or fleeing a police officer, during the last five (5) years.
Note: Facilities Management has the right to deny driving privilege if a driving record consists of numerous violations in any given time period.
Become An Authorized Driver
To become an authorized driver you must see Human Resources on the first floor of Mandelle so that they can obtain a copy of your driving record. A Background Investigation and Release of Information Authorization is also required, please complete the form on the Human Resources website.
Minimum Daily Rate:
- Cars – first day: $15 with 30 miles, over mileage billable at .30 cents a mile with a maximum charge of $30.
- Mini vans – first day: $20 with 30 miles, over mileage billable at .30 cents a mile with a maximum charge of $50.
- Vans – first day: $25 with 30 miles, over mileage billable at .45 cents a mile with a maximum charge of $80.
Consecutive Daily Rate:
- Cars – $30 per day with unlimited mileage
- Mini vans – $50 per day with unlimited mileage
- Vans – $80 per day with unlimited mileage
The vehicles should be full of gas when you pick them up (please note on mileage slip if they aren’t) and full when you return them or your account will be charged a $50 fee for the first offense and the cost of the gas to fill it up. Each subsequent offense will be charged a $100 fee and the cost of gas. Records of offenses will be cleared at the end of the school year.
If a vehicle is left in state that it needs to be cleaned after your use, a $25.00 cleaning fee will be charged to your account.
K College Buses
Trips must be booked at least five (5) working days in advance by submitting the on-line Vehicle Reservation Form. The College owns two buses and the capacity of each bus is 35 people. Bus trip charges are as follows:
- Labor rate – $35 per hour (two hour minimum)
- Mileage rate – .75 cents per mile
- Labor rate – $50 per hour (two hour minimum)
- Mileage rate – .75 cents per mile
Note: The trip begins when bus leaves Facilities Management and ends when bus is parked. Overnight bus trips must be approved by the driver and the group using the bus for this trip. If the trip is overnight the organization using the bus is responsible for the driver’s meals and accommodations.
Traffic Violations and Accidents
Each department is responsible for any traffic violations incurred while using the vehicle. All accidents with a college vehicle must be reported to the police. Please give the police report to Facilities Management. There is a $500 or $1000 deductible on the college’s insurance, the department/organization will be charged for the deductible.
The use of a college vehicle can be denied or cancelled in the event of adverse weather and/or unsafe road conditions.
College Driver Policy
You can access the full College Driver Policy on our Policies page.